Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Terry Haines

While in North Carolina, visiting family for my mother's 60th birthday and my nephew and neices' graduations, I had the opportunity to sit down with a special guest for a truly abc afternoon special "How I Got Started In Programming" video, my father, Terry Haines.

He programmed through the 70s, 80s and 90s, providing the opportunity for me to start becoming familiar with computers from a very early age. It was really a great pleasure to listen to how his career developed.

Oh, and happy father's day!

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. What a great way to honor your father, Corey! Fun to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun to listen to, being the son of a programmer myself. I can't get enough of the old war stories of the punch card days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this one, Corey. Really interesting. My Dad wasn't a programmer so to hear these stories is a novelty. I love the "programming Cobol in ink" anecdote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, guys. It was a great privilege to get to do this with my dad.

    I liked the 'programming Cobol in ink' comment, too. What a great anecdote. :)

    He's also one of the few people that I've seen have their eyes light up when they say 'I loved Cobol.' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent "How..." video Corey! Thanks for sharing it. Next time you're going to be in Maryland, let me know. Maybe you could interview my brother Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, I failed to mention another anecdote. During my early Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1 days, I bought a program called "Dancing Demon" that allowed you to input commands to make an animated figure dance on the screen. At the time, our family was religious, and the name "Dancing Demon" seemed offensive. So I "hacked" the code and changed it to "Dancing Harry". I liked this anecdote better than the one I mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey thanks for sharing this with me Corey. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete